Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cherish your loved ones

It is funny how negligent people are; and how all of us seem to take things for granted
It's like we take it that things around us are always there for us and part of your daily lives

So not true...

Recently, my granny is very sick and has been in and out of the hospital for countless times; each time looking weaker than the last
She has grown so thin and frail; that I was shocked and I almost couldn't believe that this is my granny
I could not help myself from feeling sad when I see her lying there so helpless on the hospital bed and suffering from the pains while we can just stand by her bed and look on (not able to do anything since we are no professionals)

It was then that I start to recall; how granny was like back in her younger days (during my childhood), when she was so vibrant and healthy
I am not that close to this granny of mine; reason because we stay 300 kilometres away and only visit granny every school holiday
Despite that, granny is still often delighted to see us (what's not, when my mother, her daughter is the only one who stays so far away from her)
She loves to cook and I remember how she often encourages us to stay and eat at home instead of going out for those local Penang hawker food

She starts cooking early in the morning and by 11-11.30am, she would have all the dishes ready on the table (piping hot!) and she would always yell, "Come have your lunch now!"
We were often reprimanded if we were to leave the food go cold and not sit down to eat immediately (no matter how full you are!)

This granny is very superstitious and often tells us the stories of the different deities and the various festive seasons associated with the beliefs
She also often forbids us from doing this or that; stating that it could bring bad luck
Needless to say, she is definitely hard to please especially during Chinese New Year where the rules are to be followed

She really hates dark-colored clothes; especially black and dark-blue
It is a taboo to wear these clothes in her house if you were to visit during Chinese New Year
I remember how she chided one of my aunts for buying a pair of blue suit for Chinese New Year and she forbade her from wearing it
She says that these are colors meant for mourning and it is pure disrespect to the elders if we were to wear it

Even on normal days, she frowns upon wholly black ensemble in her house

She loves bright colors and auspicious words; gold, red
But her favorite color is definitely purple; just like my other late grandmother

She loves to eat; and she would not hesitate to try all sorts of food
However, as she gets older, I still remember her saying that it is okay to steal a bite or two and that it meant no harm, despite all the objections from us and how we deter her from those unhealthy food

Right now, she is so frail and weak and sickly, that I feel so sad when I see her face
At the same time, I know I cannot show my sadness in front of her

All of us have to smile and cheer her up in this times

She is getting weaker by the day; and so far, doctors and even mediums (my aunts sought advice from mediums too) did not give much positive feedback

I suddenly feel worried about the fate of my grandmother..
I know that we are all being prepared mentally by the doctors and the mediums
Yet, it is no easy feat to be prepared and yet have to accept a fate

I do not want to be prepared; no...
But I do pray that she will feel very much better and not in pain or suffering

Granny is starting to mutter weird things to everyone
and she has certainly seemed much more cheerful these days
However, we are still worried

I will continue to pray for her

We should cherish our loved ones at all times and not only when you think they are about to leave
Once they have left us, it will be forever as we won't be able to see them again...
I do miss my grandmother and grandfather who have left me; although I know they are watching over us from Heaven

Never take anyone for granted; even your close friends
You may not be able to rewind the time when you have lost it
Cherish all the time you have with your loved ones..

I know I definitely will...