Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gastro vs gastritis

I had the most unpleasant last week.

It was a struggle, or rather, a battle between my gastrointestinal vs my gastroentitis problem.
I don't know which ignited the battle, but it started off really painful and uncomfortable.

With the sharp pain in the abdomen and stomach and later, even the chest area, I even suffered from diarrhoea and nausea (thank God there was no vomiting although that almost happened at one point)

I was really pale on that day I went to work after suffering from that bout which I dismissed off as just plain gastric and popped my usual pink tablets to soothe the stomach.
However, I sensed something amiss when the pain seemed to make me really uncomfortable and I kept feeling nauseous.

I made a trip to the doctor the next day, and was diagnosed with food poisoning (that was already the third day).
The doctor even told me that besides the gastrointestinal issues related to the food poisoning, it could have even started off the gastritis problems and hence, I was put on medication for both.

I had to stay off solids and fibre food to avoid purging; and was told to have home-cooked food.

My diet list?
Porridge, broth, beverages...ughs, I don't like either of them =(

Call me picky, but I really hate porridge and don't even want to abide by them even when I am seriously ill. (annoying me, I know)

I finished the medication, and was even on two days MC as I was seriously in pain.

By the 3rd day, I still feel something amiss and I was already starting to worry, as the medicine did not work and I was still feeling uncomfortable.
It is really weird, as usually when I am put on my usual combination of gastric medication, I recover or at least feel better after 2-3 rounds of it.

I am almost done with the medication and I still feel awful and I decided, I had to go to the doctor again, for the second time, although it was a Saturday already (yeah, I seldom do that)

The doctor was baffled as well, and I was already asking whether I need a reason to worry or should I be undergoing further scans or blood tests.

Thank God she told me that there is nothing to worry about and even asked, whether I was undergoing any stress at work or personal life lately.

She told me to just relax during the weekend and try to have as much home-cooked food as possible.
She even told me that I should learn how to cook myself or else, marry/find someone who can cook well...like her own son! LOL!
Was my doctor matchmaking me or what?

Anyway, she changed my whole set of medication and put me on the medication which can reduce both problems.

Thank God, I started feeling better the next day although the occasional pain is still there and I still feel uncomfortable after meals.

I am recovering and getting better, and then, the haze came.
Now, I am starting to worry about my sinusitis and sensitive skin...now you tell me, how can I not be stressed about my life or work?