Tuesday, November 07, 2006

White Cane Day with St Nicholas Penang






















I am proud to say that I have spent my time meaningfully last Sunday; for a few hours at least on the Sabbath day:)
Yeah, I volunteered for an event as part of Intel's Involved (community organization) which participates in the community events. This was my first time participating in their event which called for volunteers among the employees in the company - in an effort to support the White Cane Day organized by St Nicholas home in Penang; the home for the visually impaired. I have actually posted an entry on this event with the details in my other
blog; therefore I am not going to repeat my story here but rather, tell this story from my own eyes and also how I felt during the duration of the event.
Anyway, I am really glad to have participated as it opened the window of opportunity for me to mingle with the less fortunate; not that it made me feel happier but I think it is great for me to be able to understand and be content with our own situation.
If we take time to think about it, we are blessed with the perfect and complete attributes for a normal human being and thus we should not dwell only on the imperfections all the time and overlook what we already have. Ironically, I just told the same exact words to someone yesterday and this person happened to agree with me on this:D
Yeah, I always feel that people dwell too much on what we don't have rather than be thankful for what we already have. Humans yearn too much and love to compare with each other; creating the 7 deadly sins which include envy, greed, anger, lust, gluttony, pride, sloth - all of which relates to human feelings and their intentions.
Why in the first place do all these sins come to our lives? Well, I should say mainly it stems from the nature of human being who always want to succeed others and will never be content.
I remember my parish priest, Father Mitchell in my home church in Kepong who once said in his sermon during mass with visiting parishioners from another church - the unique part was these parishioners were not like any of us; in fact, they were the less fortunate - they were the deaf/mute and also the disabled (wheel-bound). Father actually said that God created these people for a reason; HE wants to remind us, as the other part of the society to be mindful of what we have and also to appreciate our gifts. At the same time, it is also to strengthen our faith in ourselves and God and to reach out to the others who are different from us but accept them as part of us to be a part of the kingdom of God:)
Back to this White Cane Day, just a little on the info that I found out from the St Nicholas folks; Mr Veloo and also the pamphlets which we were to distribute (haha....my new friend whom I was to lead during the quest on the White Cane Day event). He told me to read it before distributing and I found out that the White Cane is actually symbolic to represent the level of severity of the visual impairment. Relatively, the white cane is used by those who are totally blind and has no signs or path to recovery or partial sight. Thus, they need guided help in carrying their tasks especially in transporting themselves around. It was actually initiated by a British guy who first got blind(can't remember who he was; but he was definitely someone famous) and he painted his walking stick white and thus begun the initialization of the White Cane Day theme for the blind.

I was assigned to lead Mr Veloo and we had a nice conversation all the way; discussing about topics from our hobbies to our daily lives. He was also trying to get me to help out in the scripting for the Braille into a software. I had to turn him down; sadly since this princess is not too good with programming and technical stuffs. However, I did offer to do part time volunteering and also to do any write ups if needed in the home:)
He was an experienced guy and we even talked about religion; with a little insight into his life story as well. He was born into a Hindu family and then at a young age, he was sent to an orphanage where he started to learn about the Christian faith. Then he was baptized and now he is a Catholic although he secretly admitted that he was not such a devout one...hehe:P
Anyway, he also commented that I am an optimistic girl and also that I always dwell on the postive outlook. Furthermore, he mentioned that princess me is a kind-hearted person with a charitable heart.....awwww.....blushing....thanks Mr Veloo....you are an equally kind soul as well :)
I am now even more enthusiastic to volunteer and to help out the others; I am now looking into the deaf/mute, orphans, disabled, old, sick, etc if possible. Found something on online volunteering as well....anyway, I have a date with Mr Veloo this Friday...to visit the St Nicholas home located in Bagan Jermal, Gurney...see ya there....God bless all of you!~