Monday, May 08, 2006

Visiting the Lion City - Part 3

So, after the training, I have one more day left...hmmm, half day left before I fly home. On Friday, I went out to take a look at the city.
Now, who could miss the famous Orchard Road where all the huge shopping malls are located? Anyway, I was there tad a little too early and most of the malls are not open yet. The Takashimaya was the largest shopping mall in Singapore, according to the taxi driver....which contradicted what my classmate told me about the mall in Tampines.

So, this is a view of Orchard Road.












Then I went to the Tampines mall which was also kinda big...most of the malls here are kinda big...but compared to the ones in Shanghai? Those were huge and gigantic....:p Can't be compared:D

After that, I recalled Haw Par Villa which I didn't get to visit the last round I was in Singapore, which was way way back then..I was only eight at that time:) So, I took a ride to Haw Par Villa, one of the famous tourist places in Singapore. The taxi driver told me that they have lifted the admission fee and now it's free to visit the place. I was there pretty early, made it in good time too...reached the place at around 9.30a.m. and went in. There was not too much of a crowd at that time anyway and so, there I go, snapping pictures frantically....of myself...I am alone, after all:p






























There's the main entrance :) There's a small family there....and I guess they must be thinking that I am slightly out of my mind to be taking pics of myself...hehehe....but then again, probably not:p



























These are the statues...it's pretty much like a recreational park with the built statues for tourist viewing. Mostly are related to the ancient China history. There's one particular museum on the famous Chinese scholar...which I didn't have time to visit...I have to check out from the hotel by noon and I have to visit this place in a short time to get back to my hotel in time and also to pack and get to airport soon after.














Phew....anyway, I snapped as much pictures as I can but pretty much, I think their attractions died down and some of the statues have tarnished in the colour.
Then I noticed there is this place called the Ten Courts of Hell. I headed there in a jiff and there they impose the admission fee; SGD$1.00. I paid and went in....pretty creepy. If I am not mistaken, I used to read in the True Singapore Ghost Stories that there was this place called the 18 stages in Hell which was in Haw Par Villa. It seems that the place was too eerie for words and that the stages were depicted in a too realistic manner and it was described by the author that it practically feels like you are in the place; Hell itself. Furthermore, they have even simulated the heat factor and also the environment which looks red and fiery around you. To read further about the story, just visit my other blog...Starry Starry Night *winks*...the pics will even be posted there..on the Ten Courts of Hell which I visited. I guess they closed the 18 Stages of Hell.

Hehehe...my dad was staring at me as if I was out of my mind to snap pics of those scenarios in Hell when I showed it to them...also, I'd add that it was rather scary to be in the Ten Courts of Hell alone. There was a foreign couple when I was to enter but then they left and I was all alone.
I waited for more visitors before going in....of course....anyway, I will not elaborate much on the Ten Courts of Hell here, else it will be redundant story. I will share those in Starry Starry Night..an exclusive feature article on the Ten Courts itself *winks*

I proceeded to the little park outside the Ten Courts and there was this little area which details all the filial piety stories...pretty interesting...but if you are interested, I would recommend a temple on your way to Genting Highlands which describes all the 24 filial stories...pretty famous in the Chinese saying...I will cover that in my Starry Starry blog in the future :)

So, to continue my scouting around as I call it, there's more statues in the park
Here, even the walls have unique carvings of the deities on them.

And there's the small pond and the memorial.


Oooo.....look at this...Fook, Luk, Sau (the 3 deities of Prosperity, Wealth and Longevity)

There's Goddess of Mercy

These are the unique masks on the doors...and no, they are not exits..bummer:(

That's all of Haw Par Villa...I did it on pretty good timing...time well-managed, huh :) I caught a cab and got back to my hotel; did some final packing and bidding my hotel room goodbye, I checked out of the hotel. The receptionist(a guy) actually asked me whether I have been to the hotel before because my name sounded very familiar. He even asked me whether I am coming back to Singapore...I was like, of course...even looking forward to my next visit to this city*wink*

Then I was soon in the nice Changi International Airport and flying back to Malaysia...hmmm, to KL....yippeee.....my hometown...and if you may say it, my palace of a home....hahaha...not the palace in reality...far from it, it may not be as luxurious, but since it's where I grew up, it's definitely a palace in my heart:)
Coincidentally, it was Good Friday and it was raining so heavily that I half-thought my flight's gonna be delayed. Anyway, I was on time and there's my Singapore trip....goodbye Lion City...will be back soon :D